Saturday 17 March 2007

London is Burning

LOOOONDOOOON!



I didn't think I was actually getting out of Boston. After making it through security at Logan (with my own private bag search!) we sat on the plane at the gate for about 75 minutes while they looked for a 'water leak' on board. Scruffy mechanics in neon yellow vests racing up and down the aisles and banging around in the hold below us while snow started to fall outside. We got out as it got heavy...I think we were one of the last out.


Landing in London at night is incredible. Boston has the water, Caracas has that mountain lit up by shantytowns, but flying over the London sprawl, with the Thames snaking through the middle was just awesome. The pilots took us around the city, and back over...was just awesome.



Heathrow itself was fine, minus the mile walk to immigration. It was actually a bit bizarre...all the signs were for Boston or New York based companies; I hadn't heard a cheeky accent yet, and I could have easily been back in the US (except for the fact that all the signs were very polite: "Please be aware you are now entering an area of heightened security.")



True to Zoback form, my sister and almost-Zoback cousin gave me a huge full form tackle in the middle of the airport, as everyone else waited patiently behind barriers for their parties. Yeah, we made a scene. And yes, I got in on the wrong side of the car at the airport.



Anyway, the rest of the night was great. I got a quick driveby tour of London: Buckingham Palace, Kensington Palace, Big Ben, London Eye, Trafalgar Square, etc. We hit up a pub by Dan's place for a quick celebratory beer. I got the only thing I didn't recognize: it ended up being Czech, not British, but damn did it taste good.



(As an aside, we passed one pub that looked like an absolute imitation of a Boston version of a London pub. Who the hell is copying who?!?!?!?!?!)



EmZ and I are going to the Imperial War Museum today, followed up by what is supposed to be an incredible Indian dinner with Dan. It's St. Patty's Day, so we'll see how that plays into everything...I'm sure some Irish bar will distract us on the way.

-z-




No comments: